Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale

Rolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale

I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not maybe you could tell me where to post this ad. I bought this about 3 years ago from Feltcrafts, used it a few times and then lost interest in felting. The wooden crate it came in makes a
    great base and I added casters to that so I could roll it around. Now it just sits in my studio, kind of sad. If anyone out there wants this machine I will sell it for half of what I paid for it and that is including shipping - $775. The machine
    works great, it is in perfect condition. Let me know, or if you have any questions let me know those too.

Do you have pics of the machine?

I was wondering if you have pictures of the machine or can direct us to a link on the Internet that can explain what it is? You could even give us the product name and company so we can research it ourselves before we make a decision on a purchase.

Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com
    www.fabricartbylinda.blogspot.com
    Author of “The ART of Machine Needle Felting” book and CD
    Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com

Ah ha, I just found the button for "attachment", will take photos and post ASAP. I just assumed everyone was familiar with this machine but when I went to the website I found they are making larger ones now. Mine is a 28" according to the info that came with it. I will take pics and post in the next hour or so.

Here are some photos, the machine is inside the crate and there is no one here to help me lift it out, I think you can see that it's pretty perfect though I will get someone to help me lift it out if you really want to be sure. I took a photo of part of the instructions so you can read what it's all about. The yard stick and drill are to show a bit of dimension. The rollers are the 28" variety. I see that now the company makes a variable speed but really I don't think that is necessary. When I used it I would just set the timer for 5 minutes, unroll everything and roll it up again and set it for another 5 minutes etc. Once you are good and felted you can set the timer for longer of course. Rolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale-crate-open.jpgRolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale-crate.jpgRolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale-machine-specs.jpgRolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale-vertical-view.jpgRolling Machine for Wet Felting For Sale-motor.jpg

I am very interested but wondered if there are instructions for using this machine. For example, the rolliing time for nuno scarves as opposed to the rolling time for a rug? Does smooth rolling wet felt the project as well as hand rolling, banging and throwing? Do you need to keep adding hot soapy water and rerolling, or do you just set the timer and let it roll for an hour? Thank you in advance.

Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com
    Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com

Linda - a friend of mine has one of these and she loves it. It really saves time and wear and tear on your joints. I'm sure there are differences in rolling times depending on the project just as there would be if you were doing it by hand. I think most people just wet it down once and then roll. You do need to take it out and change the direction of the piece so it will shrink evenly so rolling it for an hour in one direction would be too much. I'm no expert though.

The machine comes with instructions for its use - but HOW you use it depends on what kind of wool you are using, how thick what you are making is going to be, gosh, I could go on and on. If you are a wet felter that rolls on a noodle or big bubble wrap with coridadale wool this will be what you need - but on the other hand if you use merino which felts if you give it a dirty look and you like the hands on approach this could still be the machine for you. It all depends on you. No way are you ever going to set the machine for an hour and go away, that is dangerous and not necessary, if I remember right it has a timer that can only be set for 45 min. max. You WILL want to check how everything is going in the beginning, then as you get used to how it works for the way YOU layer you will feel comfortable setting it for longer and longer times. You never have to add more water and soap, you roll your "felt" up in blue pool wrap and that keeps the soap and water inside - yes, water and suds do splatter against the wall behind the machine a bit, not much but I always up up some plastic sheeting while the machine was going. It's not enough to really worry about. If you feel the felt needs more water add some when you re-roll but soap? Nope.

That is correct.

Linda, You asked about an internet site - the site is Feltcrafts, they sell my machine (where I got it from) for $1350 plus $175 for shipping. The lead time is looooong, or used to be. They told me 3 weeks but it took 2 months after I paid for it. Someone hand builds the machine for them.

I'm interested

I looked at the Feltcrafts site and I think this may be what I have been looking for. I have been wet felting my machine needle felted pieces just to give them a smooth finished look. I'm not an expert at wet felting - I just do it until the pieces look the way i want them to. I'm not sure if they are correctly done in terms of traditional wet felting, but they work when already felted on a felting machine. I have been asked to do an Art Show with my pieces and wondered if i could find a way to wet felt them faster than what I do now, one at a time. I could be dyeing in my basement and wet felting at the same time. Or I could make up a bunch of pieces and then wet felt them all on one day - impossible to do now with just my own arms. Please let me know how to proceed with this sale.

Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com
    Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com

You can also do many items at one time, you just roll them up in the roll. There is no correct way to wet felt btw. It all depends on how the piece will be used, if it is going to be worn then you want it to wear well and not pill. Anyway call me so we can figure out how to do this so we are both secure with the transaction. 954 540 6888

Quote Originally Posted by Ninzerbean View Post
    I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not maybe you could tell me where to post this ad. I bought this about 3 years ago from Feltcrafts, used it a few times and then lost interest in felting. The wooden crate it came in makes a
    great base and I added casters to that so I could roll it around. Now it just sits in my studio, kind of sad. If anyone out there wants this machine I will sell it for half of what I paid for it and that is including shipping - $775. The machine
    works great, it is in perfect condition. Let me know, or if you have any questions let me know those too.
    Hello, has this machine sold, or is it still available? Thanks!

Sorry, I bought this machine already.
    Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricart View Post
    Sorry, I bought this machine already.
    Hello,

I just wanted to know if you are please with the machine and if you use it a lot. Also can you post a picture of something that you have rolled with this machine.

Thanks
    Loulou

New Rolling Machine

Yes, I have used the rolling machine but life has been in the way this month to felt as much as I planned. I teach quilting classes and have been out of town almost every day teaching and preparing for an art show in mid October. I wasn't able to cram in all the pieces I wanted finished for the art show so I am waiting until after that to get back to the machine. What I did do so far is make up 12 inch squares of silk and silky fabrics nuno felted in a grid with different fibers. I am testing different wools, alpaca, nylon, polyester, silks, etc. and seeing how they shrink and felt. Then I will know what to expect from them when I put in a real scarf. I still need to roll them longer in the machine but i think the look and method I am trying to acheive will work. I had to purchase the book from Feltcrafts to show me how to use the machine and I just need time to allow it to run long enough to felt my pieces. The person who sold me the machine has been very helpful with answering questions and helping me sort out how to do this. It isn't difficult, it just has to be done in the way it was designed and I had to learn (still need to learn) how to get the look I want. After the art show I am free to experiment more. I will show pics as soon as I have some ready.

Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com
    Linda Hall
    www.fabricartbylinda.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-21-2013, 04:14 PM